When planning your garden choose plants that are best suited for your soil type, position and climate. The right plant for the right situation will thrive for you.
* Before planting enrich your soil with organic composted manures. This not only improves the soil structure and moisture retention but also adds vital nutrients to maintain healthy plants.
* Apply water crystals at time of planting, this will keep an extra supply of moisture in the soil for the dry periods. Saves water and promotes healthy plants. Good quality water crystals will stay effective for up to 5 years.
* Add a thick layer of mulch over your garden this helps the soil retain its moisture and assists with weed control. Weeds will only compete for moisture that your special plants need.
* Cover your veggie patch with a shade cloth structure to protect your garden from the harsh summer sun. Use a light shade cloth and your garden will reward you with an extended harvest of fruit and veggies during summer.
* Move potted plants into part-shade preventing them from drying out so quickly. Removing them from the intense heat will maintain their lush appearance. Sitting outdoor plants in a saucer will prevent the soil from drying out so fast.
* Fertilize your garden and lawn in early summer to promote strong healthy growth, giving them both the best chance to survive the summer heat.
* Applying an application of Garden Guard or Envy will protect your garden from windburn, heat and reduce water loss from the leaves of plants.
* Sprinkle granular Ezi-Wet around your garden, hanging pots and lawn and water in well. Ezi-Wet assists water penetration, improves the efficiency of any fertilizers used, reduces water run-off and helps eliminate dry patches. This is most effective if applied every 6 months.
* Check your watering system and clean out sprinkler heads, jets and nozzles. Make sure they are all working properly ensuring each plant is being watered. Soaker hoses are a great option and can be moved to suit your gardening needs. Always use a tap timer to prevent unnecessary water usage.
* Watering is important throughout the summer, ensure you have a constant watering program in place. Prevent evaporation loss by watering the garden late in the afternoon or early morning. Remember a well watered garden will flourish.
For more tips and hints visit our website www.kingaroygardencentre.com.au and call in and visit our nursery.