A. Winter is the main season for orchids. After flowering remove dead flower spikes from the orchid and start your fertilizing program. Between now and the end of the year feed with Manutec Orchid Food. From January apply Manutec Orchid Bloom Booster weekly to promote flowering. Alternatively, use Campbell’s blue orchid fertilizer ‘B’ from September to end of December followed by Campbell’s yellow orchid fertilizer ‘A’ until after flowering, applying every 7-14 days.
Orchids are one of the most beautiful blooms leaving us feel they must be tricky to grow. Really, they are one of the toughest plants and thrive on adversity. Leave them to grow in a shady spot and bring them inside when in flower and enjoy their beauty. Most orchids do best in warm, subtropical, tropical conditions and would need bushhouse conditions in cold districts.
6 Tips for growing Orchids
* Spring and summer is the best time to divide and repot your orchids. Divide the orchid when it has filled its pot.
* Orchids don’t grow in ordinary soil. Use an orchid mix that is specially formulated for their particular needs.
* Don’t pot the bulbs too deep, they should be sitting just above the soil surface.
* Cymbidium orchids require good drainage. Use squat pots for orchids, place pots on small blocks to allow good air flow around the roots.
* Water orchids regularly through the hot months. Allow your orchids to dry out between waterings in the cooler months.