· Secateurs – select a good quality pair of secateurs, keep the blades sharpened and joints oiled. Taking good care of them will help your secateurs last longer. Add a pouch to your belt to keep them safe, that way you won’t lose them and will ensure they are not left laying out in the weather.
· Gardening gloves – protect your hands, choose a thick leather pair if pruning roses.
· Pruning saw – a saw with a narrow blade will be easier to manoeuvre between stems and branches of plants.
· Hedge clippers –good for trimming shrubs, hedges and topiaries.
· Tree loppers – again select a good pair, if taken care of, they will last you for years.